The Defamation, Reputation and Media Management team at Matheson provides specialist advice on issues affecting both corporate and personal reputation and on all aspects of privacy law. Our clients include online and print media companies, telecommunications providers, technology companies, television and film production companies and individuals. We provide a broad range of services to our clients, including advising on all aspects of social media and privacy law, representation in defamation claims, pre-publication and pre-broadcast legal advice, advice on reputation management, compliance with Norwich Pharmacal orders and protection of privacy law rights. We also provide advice to media clients in respect of regulatory investigations.
- Advising on issues affecting corporate reputation and resulting loss of business, revenue and goodwill.
- Advising a range of social media companies and on-line platforms in relation to “take-down” notices and Norwich Pharmacal orders.
- Defending defamation and breach of privacy actions in the Circuit Court and High Court and appeals in the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court, including acting in the appeal to successfully overturn the largest defamation award in the history of the State.
- Advised in relation to the first statutory investigation into a national broadcaster, which arose from an instance of defamation, as well as the formulation of new internal procedures on privacy following that investigation.
- Advising professionals on all issues affecting reputation and the right to privacy.
- Providing pre-broadcast and pre-publication advice to a range of media and corporate clients, as well as pre-publication advice to statutory bodies and institutions in respect of investigative reports.
- Advisers to a range of retail outlets in relation to the defence and resolution of “retail defamation” claims.
- Advising on matters of privacy and privilege relating to the application of Freedom of Information law, Data Protection law and the law relating to statutory requests.