Matheson has been authorised to operate as a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) by the Legal Services Regulatory Authority
Matheson has been authorised by the Legal Services Regulatory Authority to operate as a limited liability partnership (LLP) and will operate as such, under the name Matheson LLP, with effect from Monday, 4 July 2022.
Our relationship with our clients, our contractual arrangements and the full range of legal advice and services we provide remain unaffected by our authorisation to operate as an LLP.
This change follows the implementation of the Legal Services Regulation Act 2015 (the “Act”) which introduced the option for law firms to adopt LLP status. As set out in Section 123 of the Act, and subject to certain exceptions set out in the Act, the partners of Matheson LLP do not have any personal liability for any debt, liability or obligation that is incurred for the purpose of carrying on the business of the firm (whether these are liabilities of the firm, of the partner, of another partner in the firm or of any employee, agent or representative of the firm), however such liability may arise. The liability of the firm itself for any debt, liability or obligation is not affected nor is the ability to enforce any debt, liability or obligation against the property of Matheson LLP. The firm continues to maintain appropriate levels of professional indemnity insurance as was the case prior to authorisation. Except as modified by provisions of the Act, the law that applies to general partnerships (the Partnership Act 1890) continues to apply to us.
If you require further information on these changes please speak with your usual Matheson contact.
- Matheson LLP ("Matheson") is an Irish law firm. Its primary focus is on serving the Irish legal needs of internationally focused companies and financial institutions doing business in and from Ireland.
- Matheson’s clients include the majority of the Fortune 100 companies and it advises 7 of the top 10 global technology brands, 7 of the world’s 10 largest asset managers, and over half of the world’s 50 largest banks.
- Matheson is headquartered in Dublin and also has offices in Cork, London, New York, San Francisco and Palo Alto. Matheson employs 775 people across its six offices, including 105 partners and tax principals, and 530 legal, tax and digital services professionals.
- For the second year in a row, in February 2022 Matheson was named Ireland’s largest law firm by the Law Society of Ireland, following the annual publication of practicing solicitor numbers in Ireland.
- Matheson was named Ireland Law Firm of the Year at the Chambers Europe Awards 2021.
- Matheson was named Ireland Firm of the Year and Career Development: National Firm of the Year at the 2022 European Women in Business Law Awards.
- In 2021, Matheson underlined its commitment to supporting diversity and inclusion by becoming a signatory to the Law Society of Ireland’s Gender Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (GEDI) Charter. Signatories to the GEDI Charter commit to treating all individuals and groups of individuals fairly and equally.
- Matheson was named Diversity and Inclusion Law Firm of the Year at the Irish Law Awards 2021. Matheson's female / male partner gender ratio has been ranked the third most gender-diverse in continental Europe by The Lawyer in its European 100 report for 2022, an in-depth report which reviews the continental European legal market, focusing on the 100 largest independent European law firms. Matheson is also the highest ranked Irish law firm for gender diversity among its partners in The Lawyer's 2022 European 100 report.
- In 2020, Matheson became the first organisation in Ireland to receive the Investors in Diversity Gold Standard Award from the Irish Centre for Diversity in recognition of the firm’s development and implementation of a series of people-focussed D&I initiatives. In March 2022, Matheson succeeded in retaining the Gold Standard. No other law firm in Ireland has been awarded it, and no other organisation in Ireland, of any type, has retained it.
- In 2021 Matheson became one of the first Irish law firms to establish a dedicated cross-sectoral and partner-led Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Advisory Group which assists companies in navigating and responding to the rapidly evolving ESG landscape. Matheson clients have access to an online ESG resource hub of knowledge and insights.
- In 2020, Matheson became the first Irish-headquartered law firm to sign up to the Mindful Business Charter, a collaboration between financial services businesses and law firms in Ireland and the UK promoting healthy and effective ways of working. In 2021, Matheson became a signatory to the Law Society of Ireland’s Professional Wellbeing Charter, which champions behaviours, skills and practices to promote and enable professional wellbeing in the workplace.
For media queries and further information:
Heather Yates, Matheson LLP, e: email@example.com; m: 086 441 1230.
David Kinch, MKC Communications, e: firstname.lastname@example.org; m: 086 2322439.