ESG / Sustainable Finance
Matheson’s market leading Finance and Capital Markets Department acts for lenders, borrowers, issuers and arrangers on a wide range of transactions
involving the raising of debt finance by Irish corporate and other borrowers. We understand that in the ever-changing financial markets
the provision of green loans and sustainability-linked finance, and issuance of ESG bonds, is becoming increasingly important for our clients on the lending side and also on the borrower side as such
borrowers pivot and adapt to ensure their businesses operate on a more sustainable basis. We understand that climate change is an increasing risk for both lenders and borrowers but also provides an opportunity to change how business is conducted.
Optimal outcomes for our clients in these transactions require expertise across a range of disciplines and leverage the expertise provided by our tax, property, energy, environmental, corporate and regulatory teams in working to achieve best-in-class sustainable solutions for our clients.
A selection of our more recent experience is set out below:
- Advised the Lead Managers on AIB Group’s inaugural green bond, the first green bond offer by an Irish bank.
- Advised an international bank in relation to a green loan to refinance a large distribution centre for a large international retailer with significant operations in Ireland. The loan involved a step down in margin once certain KPIs were satisfied.
- Advised an international bank in relation to a term loan made available to an Irish plc in accordance with the LMA Green Loan Principles.
- Advised domestic and international lenders (including AIB, Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank, Hamburg Commercial Bank, Aviva Investors, Rabobank, ING, DNB Bank ASA, and Credit Agricole) and domestic and international renewable energy sponsors, and infrastructure, pension and private equity funds (including Brookfield Renewables, Bord na Mona plc, Allianz, GE, EDF Renewables, Statkraft and Partners Group) in respect of the project financing, acquisition and disposals of wind farm projects, solar parks as well as waste to energy plants in Ireland.
- Advised an international property developer in relation to a green loan from an international bank which was used to part finance the construction of a number of high profile office blocks in the Dublin Docklands.
- Advised a syndicate of banks in relation to a sustainability linked loan to a leading international agri-food and nutrition company.
- Advising some of the world’s largest technology companies, international and domestic and international renewable energy developers and financial institutions on the financial regulation applicable to their corporate power purchase agreements for Irish renewable energy projects.
- Advised numerous CLO issuers incorporating ESG criteria in their investment guidelines.