"Great professionals providing a high level service."
The Finance and Capital Markets Group at Matheson is widely recognised as having market-leading expertise in relation to advising vendors, bidders, purchasers and financiers of loan portfolios. The transactions we have advised on range from performing to distressed portfolios comprising CRE, SME, residential, agricultural and unsecured product and asset classes.
Our lawyers adopt a highly collaborative and solution-focused approach in relation to loan portfolio transactions and are best placed to ensure that our clients obtain unparalleled legal and transaction support. We pride ourselves on having the necessary capacity and knowledge in order to ensure that key client and project requirements are resourced and addressed in a timely, efficient, organised and cost effective manner. We are also highly experienced in identifying and managing regulatory and customer-facing issues which typically arise in the context of loan portfolio transactions.
- Alma Campion
- Maireadh Dale
- Michael Hastings
- Patrick Molloy
- Donal O'Donovan
- David O'Mahony
- William Prentice
Representative transactions include:
- Acting as lead transaction counsel to the Irish branch of an international financial institution with respect of the sale by it of a portfolio of performing residential mortgages with a par value of circa - €1.8 billion which has been cited as the largest value transaction of a performing residential mortgage portfolio in the European market in 2017 and the portfolio comprised loans relating to over 11,000 customers.
- Acting as lead transaction counsel to the Irish branch of an international financial institution in respect of the sale by it of a portfolio of non-performing residential mortgages with a par value of in excess of €300 million - the portfolio also comprised unsecured debt products such as credit card and overdrafts.
- Acting as lead transaction counsel to the Irish branch of an international financial institution in respect of the sale by it of a portfolio comprising a mixture of performing SME, CRE, agricultural and residential loans and related collateral with a combined par value of in excess of €500 million.
- We acted for a number of purchasers in relation to the acquisition of buy-to-let loans, home loans and other loans from the liquidators of an Irish financial institution.
- We have acted in relation to the acquisition of residential mortgage portfolios originated by Irish banks and building societies.
- We advised an international fund in its acquisition of a non-performing Irish and UK real estate loan portfolio from a UK financial institution.
- We advised a joint venture investment vehicle on its acquisition of a book of approximately 16,000 performing consumer loans based in Spain.
- We advised a foreign non-banking institution on the acquisition of a portfolio of Greek distressed consumer receivables.
- We acted for an international investment bank on its acquisition (and financing) of a UK portfolio of performing commercial mortgages from a domestic Irish bank with a face value of more than £1 billion.
- We acted in respect of the financing by an international investment bank of the acquisition of an Irish portfolio of non-performing and sub-performing residential mortgages originated by an Irish mortgage lender.
- We advised a domestic Irish bank on the disposal of an Irish portfolio of commercial, buy-to-let and residential mortgage loans.
- We acted for an Irish credit institution in the sale of an Irish consumer loan portfolio to a new entrant in the credit card market.