Matheson’s financial services litigation and dispute resolution practice is one of Ireland’s largest and most frequently recognised practices for handling complex disputes involving significant reputation and multi-jurisdictional issues. We have a proven track record of delivering results in high stakes finance and securities litigation, insurance litigation and banking litigation.
We provide advice and support to regulated financial services firms, including insurers and banks, in dealing with disputes, investigations, mis-selling claims, enforcement action, litigation, crisis management and reputational issues. Our lawyers act proactively and decisively to pursue our client’s legal rights and resolve contentious issues whilst advancing their best interests and protecting their reputation.
Our lawyers’ risk-management skills and deep sectoral experience ensure our clients are properly advised in relation to any overlapping internal or regulatory investigation that may arise. We work in flexible teams which are tailored to the specific needs of the individual client. Where appropriate we work within multidisciplinary teams.
The firm’s project management and technological resources enable us to tailor teams and devise innovative bespoke solutions. This helps to manage large, complex disputes in the most efficient and cost-effective way, be it through litigation or alternative dispute resolution. As an example of our innovation, Matheson pioneered the use of electronic trial software in Ireland’s first paperless trial.
Our lawyers’ close working relationships with leading overseas law firms, forensic investigators and experts in finance and banking related issues ensure that our clients benefit from a seamless service.
- Brendan Colgan
- Sharon Daly
- Aisling Kavanagh
- April McClements
- Julie Murphy-O’Connor
- Tony O’Grady
- Karen Reynolds
- Representing a global bank in a series of multi-billion, multi-jurisdictional disputes arising from the Bernard Madoff Ponzi scheme fraud.
- Representing a major domestic bank in relation to the recovery of multi-million dollar losses arising from a major fraud in a US subsidiary.
- Advising a large financial institution on professional negligence for breach of duty and breach of undertaking against the borrowers’ solicitors and issues surrounding the forgery of certain transaction documents.
- Advising a global payment technology solutions company in connection with a dispute arising from a joint venture arrangement with a financial institution.
- Advising a financial institution with regard to the strategy, defence and successful resolution of over 220 cases before the Irish Courts in relation to mis-selling claims in relation to payment protection insurance (PPI).
- Advising an international financial institution in its successful appeal of a High Court decision which overturned a decision of the FSPO concerning the bank’s right to adjust variable interest rates independently of ECB rates.
- Advising a financial institution in relation to a complex multi-party dispute against two high profile professional service firms, the vendors and the client arising out of the acquisition of two well-known Irish retail companies by the investor plaintiffs.
- Advising private equity funds in relation to complex and novel litigation arising from and in connection with the sale of loan portfolios by divesting financial institutions to specialty funds and alternative acquiring entities.
- Advising a stockbroking firm in its defence of in a highly sensitive case brought against it by one of its customers in respect of a CFD exposures.
- Advising a Credit Union in relation to a dispute with a Trade Union.
- Advising in connection with Cape Town Convention applications for registrations in the Aviation sector.
- Advising financial institutions in connection with the recovery of loans, enforcement of judgments, freezing orders and asset tracing.
- Advising financial institutions in connection with commercial court cases, mediations and settlements involving defaulting borrowers and guarantee claims as well as professional negligence claims.
- Advising a public limited company before the Irish Financial Services Appeals Tribunal in successfully challenging the Central Bank of Ireland’s decision to oppose an acquisition.