Seán Scally is a partner in Matheson’s Energy and Natural Resources Group and Projects and Infrastructure Group. Seán advises developers, lenders and sponsors on the development and financing of energy and infrastructure assets (conventional and renewable energy assets, telecoms infrastructure, PPPs and oil and gas). Seán also advises buyers and sellers on the acquisition/disposal of these types of large scale energy and infrastructure assets.
Seán advises clients on regulatory matters and has a particular specialism in the areas of electricity and gas market regulation and trading as well as having advised on the majority of Corporate PPAs which have been concluded in Ireland to date.
Prior to working in the legal sector, Seán completed his degree in Mechanical Engineering in 2004 and worked in the medical device industry between 2004-2008. This technical background sets him apart from his peers in the market.
- Developers and Lenders on over 2 GWs of wind farm development and project financing.
- Allied Irish Bank on the project financing of two separate wind farm financings in 2020 and 2021.
- Bord na Móna on the development and project financing of Cloncreen wind farm.
- The developers on a number of battery storage project in Ireland.
- The generators on the majority of all Corporate PPAs that have been agreed in Ireland to date.
- The Irish Government on terms and conditions for the new renewable subsidy scheme (known as RESS) in 2019/2020 and on the subsequent RESS 2 and RESS Offshore terms and conditions.
- Vermilion Energy Inc.’s acquisition of Equinor ASA’s (formerly Statoil) interest in the Corrib gas project.
"Knowledge and very responsive to queries. Very good at explaining how things work. "
Legal 500 2021
Dublin City University, B.Eng
NUI Galway, LLB
Admitted as a solicitor, Law Society of Ireland
“Garret Farrelly, Owen Collins and Sean Scally
are all very competent, pragmatic and responsive.”
The Legal 500 2022