Rob is a partner in the Corporate M&A Group.
Rob advises both international and domestic companies on corporate law matters, including private M&A, shareholders' agreements and joint ventures, equity fundraisings, reorganisations and general commercial matters.
Having previously worked in a global law firm in the United Arab Emirates for a number of years, Rob has extensive experience in advising on cross-border M&A transactions (acting for both buyers and sellers) across a range of sectors.
Private Equity / Growth Equity
- Curriculum Associates, LLC, a leading U.S. K-12 company (and private equity backed company) in relation to its acquisition of Soapbox Labs Limited, an Irish headquartered global leader in voice AI for kids, powering equity-driven learning experiences for students;
- Majesco (previously NASDAQ listed prior to its acquisition by Thoma Bravo), a global provider of cloud insurance platform software, on its acquisition of the ClaimVantage group;
- Kastus, an award-winning surface innovation company with global headquarters based in Ireland, on its Series A equity fundraising;
- an investor on its circa €60m investment in an Irish headquartered company, as part of two separate Series E fundraising rounds;
- one of Europe's leading infrastructure fund managers on its acquisition of a number of well-known nursing homes in Ireland; and
- Global Risk Partners (backed by Searchlight Capital Partners at the time) on its acquisition of a majority stake in Crotty Insurance Brokers.
- Bauer Media Group on its separate acquisitions of Cork's Red FM 104-106, iRadio and Media Central;
- Eaton Corporation on its acquisition of Cooper Industries plc, valued at $11.8 billion;
- Orpea on its acquisition of a number of well-known nursing homes in Ireland;
- a purchaser on its proposed acquisition of a large group of veterinary practices in Ireland;
- Tokyo Electron Limited on its acquisition of Magnetic Solutions Limited;
- the owner of a global hypermarket business on the partial sale of its business operations in 22 countries to a UAE investment entity (consideration of approximately $1.2 billion);
- Mitsubishi Corporation on its acquisition of a minority stake in Al Islami Foods, the UAE based halal food manufacturer and one of the leading frozen food companies in the GCC market;
- Select Group on its AED 3 billion joint venture development of Marina Gate situated in Dubai Marina;
- National Catering Company LLC (NCC) and ADX listed company, The National Investor, on the acquisition by NCC of a majority stake in Grako, a specialized facilities management company, and Gecko, a UAE-based company specializing in industrial rope access and coating solutions;
- a global chemicals business on its buy-out of its local partners' stakes in its Middle East business;
- a London stock exchange listed healthcare company on various acquisitions of health and cosmetic clinics in Oman and the UAE;
- a seller on a $1.3 billion transaction primarily involving the sale of sea vessels based in Nigeria;
- on a joint venture worth over $500 million, in respect of the development and operation of a methanol plant; and
- on the establishment of two commercial airline joint ventures operated out of the UAE.
Rob Barrett named as a Rising Star
The Legal 500 2022
Rob Barrett "managed the transaction calmly and composedly. He quickly garnered the respect and confidence of our management team. Whenever speed bumps were encountered, he was proactive and creative in finding solutions. He remained clear-headed and focussed regardless of how pressurised the situation."
The Legal 500 2022
Law Society of Ireland, admitted as a solicitor
Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales (non-practising)
University College Dublin (BCL)