Matthew Broadstock is a partner in the Tax practice of Matheson specialising in Indirect Taxes.
Matthew advises in relation to Value Added Tax (both at an Irish and EU level), Customs and Excise queries and Relevant Contracts Tax. Matthew advises a broad spectrum of Irish and international clients across various industries on contentious and non-contentious issues.
Matthew provides detailed advice on VAT and RCT as it applies to property transactions in Ireland. Matthew also provides detailed advice regarding the application of VAT to clients in the exempt banking and insurance industries. Matthew is a member of the Indirect Tax committee of Irish Funds, the Funds industry representative body in Ireland and advises many clients in the industry.
Matthew also has a lot of experience advising a large number of significant clients in the technology and pharmaceutical industries. He has recently advised clients regarding VAT on electronic supplied services in the EU and the implementation of MOSS throughout the EU. Matthew also has significant experience advising upon the VAT treatment of multi-jurisdictional supply chains. In this regard Matthew has also coordinated a number of large cross-jurisdictional projects regarding indirect taxes.
Matthew is a qualified solicitor and a member of the Law Society of Ireland as well as being a non-practicing member of the Bar Council of England and Wales and a member of the Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn and a qualified solicitor in England and Wales.
- Advising on the VAT treatment and costs regarding establishment of businesses in Ireland including treasury and investment activities and cross border contract manufacturing activities and supply chain restructurings.
- Advising on the VAT treatment of IP and asset transfers arising from onshoring activity and due diligence on, and the application of VAT to, numerous large M&A deals.
- Advising on the EU VAT analysis of various products offered by FinTech companies establishing in the EU;
- Coordinating pan-European VAT advisers as regards disclosure of historic VAT liabilities.
- VAT and RCT advice regarding the letting and fit out of office spaces and development of data centres and industrial facilities.
- Detailed technical and due diligence advice regarding large property portfolio purchases.
- Obtaining relevant licences and authorisations as regards mineral oil storage, alcohol production and sales and assisting with Customs Duty rate analysis and determinations.
Matthew Broadstock is highly regarded for Indirect Tax
World Tax 2022
Matthew Broadstock is highly regarded for Indirect Tax.
World Tax 2019
Listed in the World Tax Leaders Guide 2019 by International Tax Review.
“Matthew Broadstock is excellent. He’s very good at understanding a situation and at being on top of the details to give you a very relevant answer.”
Chambers Europe 2018
Magdalene College, Cambridge University (MA)
Trinity College Dublin (LLM)
Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
Law Society of England & Wales
Law Society of Ireland